[f] AMB on Facebook

Ye Beta24 build

beta24

Re: Ye Beta24 build

Postby amb » April 1st, 2018, 12:50 am

Yes, you should have some flow-through ventilation from bottom to top. Not only do the output MOSFETs get hot, there are other hot or warm parts that will all contribute to the overall heat.
amb
Site Admin

Liked in: 482 posts

Postby zhanqian » April 1st, 2018, 6:38 am

OK, Ti.

I saw your reference build, the bottom plate has many holes.
In China, the chassis is really a problem, I can't order it with specify instructions.
I almost look through all the chassis in taobao.com(like ebay), couldn't found one has appropriate size meanwhile well ventilated.Do most of the chassis work by me self, practically not a good idea.
zhanqian

Liked in: 10 posts

Postby zhanqian » April 18th, 2018, 8:22 am

Hi, Ti, Guys

Finally finish the Beta24 build, use a pair of cheap speaker for test, test OK.
The amp is so quite when not playing music,I think I can hear the Beta24 share the same
sound signature as Beta22. Also planing to buy a pair of good speaker in some months.

Thank you, Ti, providing this reference class amp design for us, always give professional and quick support,
The forum is really great.

Half a year journey has a wonderful ending :D .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

3 people like this post.
zhanqian

Postby amb » April 18th, 2018, 12:38 pm

Looks very nice. That's a big case and everything fits nicely. Probably difficult to lift without handles! :)
amb
Site Admin

Postby Pieterh » April 18th, 2018, 12:38 pm

Hi zhanqian, well done! Congratulations with your pretty build and so fast ;) ! B24 really deserves good loudspeakers. What do you use as a source ? Streamer/dac?
Pieterh

Liked in: 54 posts

Postby zhanqian » April 18th, 2018, 7:03 pm

Yes, Ti. The case is big,the entire amp probably is about 30KG.
The AC wire of the big transformer is not use solder for connection, so when need to carry the amp for some longer time, I can remove the big transformer first, not convenient, but I can accept that.

Hi, Pieter, I have a lot of spare time recently, so I can put many effort into the Beta24 build.
the DAC I used is an old HA160D from Burson, the HA160D amp has preamp output, connected to the RCA port of Beta24, I am satisfy with the sound HA160D preamp provide.
About the loudspeaker, what speaker are you using? It's difficult to make a choice,my budget is about 2000~3000 USD,in this range, there's plenty speaker in the market, I can't know how they are pair with Beta24, and the shop probably won't allow to listen them.
zhanqian

Postby Pieterh » April 19th, 2018, 7:16 am

Loudspeaker is also personal choice. I had a listen to about six in a big hifi shop some years ago. I preferred the PMC twenty 23 by then but didn't buy it yet. Later I ran into an offer for a PMC Twenty 24 (the bigger brother of the 23). Ti also has some interesting DIY loudspeakers. Searching for the right one is quite a quest.
Pieterh

Liked in: 54 posts

Postby amb » April 19th, 2018, 2:18 pm

I use Audio Artistry's CBT36 line arrays. They are amazing but you'll need another power amp and a Behringer DCX2496 DSP crossover unit (hopefully with the κDCX and ο1 modifications), because the CBTs must be run in bi-amped configuration.

You can read all about my CBT36 build here: new-speaker-fi-audio-artistry-cbt36-t1887.html

Forum member whomper is running the same speakers with two β24s, the modified DCX2496 and a γ3 DAC. Maybe you could build a second β24 to match! :)
amb
Site Admin

Postby zhanqian » April 20th, 2018, 3:01 am

Thanks for sharing, Pieter, I have realized searching the speaker may not be easy, many people spend much time changing their equipment :) .

Wow,Ti, those are huge loudspeakers, my room is small :( .
I am considering acquire a pair of bookshelf speaker, I am afraid they can't bring out all the potential of the Beta24, a compromise I think.
zhanqian

Postby amb » April 20th, 2018, 5:49 am

The CBT36s are not small, but they are not as big as they seem. The amount of footprint they occupy is minimal, and the columns are about 5 feet (1.5 meters) tall.

Anyway, if you want big sound with small speakers, you can always add a subwoofer. Even the CBT36 needs them. There are many excellent small speakers around (the KEF LS50 especially comes to mind), the only deficiency being limited bass extension. The subwoofer will fix that. There are many great DIY options as well. You know how it feels to have accomplished building your β24. Imagine having the same sense of satisfaction of building your speakers too!
amb
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to β24 fully-differential power amplifier