[f] AMB on Facebook

Power Supply Question: Heresy Within

beta24

Power Supply Question: Heresy Within

Postby Rabbit » March 29th, 2018, 6:17 pm

I'm beginning the process of acquiring parts for a β24 build. For the large (unreg) power supply, I am considering using a quality regulated switch mode power supply :o :oops: :? . I've used an SMPS for another amp, and it worked great. If I dare couple the mighty β24 to such a device, will I be forever shunned and labeled a heretic, forced to wear SMPS letters on my chest? Will my amp burst into flames out of sheer spite? Will Audiophile Zeus strike the amp with a lightning bolt? Will AMB thugs show up at my house with pitchforks and torches? Will I get banned from DIY meets? (will it work fine?)

Asking for... a friend? :oops: :lol:

Pieterh likes this post.
Rabbit

Liked in: 22 posts

Re: Power Supply Question: Heresy Within

Postby amb » March 29th, 2018, 7:47 pm

:D :D :D

You’re not going to get any negative comment from me. It’s your project, and your prerogative how you want to implement and customize it. A SMPS for the output stage will reduce the size and weight of the amp, and I recall at least one other β24 builder doing something similar.

The only thing to be careful of is RFI from the power supply on the amp boards. Normal power transformers emit magnetic fields that need to be dealt with too, but low frequency EMI is easier to handle and can be easily ameliorated with shielded transformers.
amb
Site Admin

Liked in: 482 posts

Return to β24 fully-differential power amplifier