[f] AMB on Facebook

My σ22 Build Thread

sigma11, sigma22

Re: My σ22 Build Thread

Postby sv511 » February 1st, 2016, 3:24 am

I did some very simple checks on CR4 with my my DMM's diode check and what I measured agrees with the data sheet. 0.6mA forward current from the meter isn't a great test, but I doubt I cooked it.

Here is a photo of CR4 jumpered to the adjacent ground pad.
I'm embarrassed to post this as it below my standards. I am ordering some new tips today and won't be doing any more work until they are here. I may pick up an 800F tip just incase.

CRD Kluge.jpg

http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.co ... 026c80.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sv511

Liked in: 10 posts

Postby sv511 » February 8th, 2016, 7:58 am

New tips made all the difference.

I bought an assortment. My everyday tip is a 1.6mm screwdriver 700F PTA7. I used a 2.4mm chisel 800F PTBB8 for the some of the grounds plans and the heatsinks.

FWIW I used 60/40 multicore solder.

The board is done. I did some quick ohm meter tests. The heatsinks are isolated from the drains. The inputs and outputs show reasonable resistances and I did a diode check on the inputs. I took some photos to get a magnified view of the solder side. I found several spots that need cleanup. I'll post photos after I've made another pass.
sv511

Postby sv511 » February 17th, 2016, 6:31 am

The metal arrived from Italy. I'm using a Hi-Fi 2000 Galaxy Maggiorato GX288.

I did a quick dry-fit to make sure everything is going to fit in the case.

The main power relay mounts on a DIN rail. I will be using DIN rail terminal blocks for AC power and ground connections. Bottom right is a power inlet module with a filter. Top right is the Neutrik connector I'm using for DC out. Middle right is my relay control board.

P1030547.jpg

I may leave the cover off of the DC out connector. I get a lot more clearance to the heat sinks that way. I could also stack it above of the relay driver board.

I will probably orient the power inlet vertically so there is more room around the relay control board.

P1030550.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sv511

Postby passive420 » February 17th, 2016, 9:41 am

Very nice Andrew.

I like the DIN rail, very tidy solution. I was going to suggest you missed a trick by not designing your control board to fit PCB DIN rail clips and mount all power hardware on the rail. However this would possibly limit the boards universal appeal and usability.

tta3510-din_large.jpg

Or even DIN enclosure:

USB4PRMx with perspex cover & DIN rail mount (Angle) (15).jpg

I look forward to your power up tests.
Last edited by passive420 on February 17th, 2016, 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
passive420

Liked in: 0 post

Postby sv511 » February 17th, 2016, 9:58 am

Hmmm. A challenge.... Not for this project but something to think about in the future.

https://www.phoenixcontact.com/online/p ... 6ac6c22e9d
sv511

Postby passive420 » February 17th, 2016, 10:15 am

Yes, nice project - Phoenix do development kits:

https://www.phoenixcontact.com/online/p ... 4cd1c03973
passive420

Liked in: 0 post

Postby sv511 » March 8th, 2016, 6:24 am

I am going to try and make my own front and rear panels for the Galaxy case.

I'm starting a 5-week training course this Friday. After that, I hope to have access to a CNC milling machine and some other big toys.
sv511

Postby sv511 » January 8th, 2020, 8:26 am

Nearly 4 years later I have the time and funds to continue work. I never was able to use the CNC machines at work. I used Schaeffer AG to fabricate the panels.

Checking fit, using my drawings from 4 years ago. Next step is to mark and drill the chassis bottom.

I'm pleased with the way the panels came out. I made one minor error on the rear panel but it won't show.

I hooked the power switch to an external power supply to see it light up.

2 people like this post.
sv511

Measure Twice, drill thrice?

Postby sv511 » January 17th, 2020, 9:14 am

Chassis metalwork has long been my weak spot. I don't have proper tools and I'm just not that good at it.

I used this tool and to carefully mark drill locations.

I had to enlarge two of the 3.2mm holes to 3.5mm but the rest were fine on the first attempt. Need to find where I stashed the din rail ground terminal widgets. I know I've got one somewhere.

sv511

Postby amb » January 17th, 2020, 10:46 am

You can use the PCBs themselves to mark the holes, using a mechanical pencil. Then use a center punch to strike a dimple in the center of the hole location before drilling. The dimple will help prevent the drill bit from wandering off-center while drilling, especially when using a portable electric drill. Make sure you hold the drill such that the bit as close to 90° to the surface as possible. Use a small "starter" bit first, then change to the proper sized bit. A drill press is of course much better in this regard, after you align the location and clamp the panel down.
amb
Site Admin

Liked in: 498 posts

PreviousNext

Return to σ11 and σ22 regulated power supplies