[f] AMB on Facebook

My γ3 build, and adventures in DIY panelwork (long)

gamma3, gamma24 (plug-in for the γ3)

Re: My γ3 build, and adventures in DIY panelwork (long)

Postby Rabbit » February 19th, 2017, 8:46 am

More progress on the panels:

I took the reference design and moved the center line up 1/8". I also hacked a substantial portion of the par-metal frame to accommodate the various connectors. Finally, I snipped a small amount of the insulator washers on the RCA terminals just a tiny bit. Here's the result!

ImageIMG_0484.jpg by PScal, on Flickr

Another rookie mistake:

I also cleaned up some of the internal wiring in the power supply. In doing so, I made an error and hooked up the σ22's xfmr leads out of phase. Upon energization, the σ22 broke - Q1 is now verified broken. A replacement is on the way. Hopefully it's the only part that's broken. I went ahead and ordered a few of the BJTs and extra Zeners, just in case. I also got an orange display for my γ3 and some orange LEDs. I'll probably wait until final fitment to install it.

I also cleaned up the wiring on γ3. I have the XLR shields hooked up to IG now. I may in the future add a DPDT on-off-on switch that allows me to connect the shield to either IG, the chassis, or nothing at all. That's pretty deep down the rabbit hole, though. I'll probably just leave it alone. I fear I've read too much about Pin 1 and am suffering from information overload.

ImageIMG_0493.jpg by PScal, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0491.jpg by PScal, on Flickr

amb likes this post.
Rabbit

Liked in: 22 posts

Postby Rabbit » March 8th, 2017, 6:50 pm

Another update, and another small issue.

My σ22 was repaired - Q1 and one of the CR diodes (unsure which one, removed all and found 1 bad) were the issues. It is now doing just fine. I also built up a speaker amplifier - a Neurochrome Modulus 286. Photos can be found here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskQbvNxn and here's a photo of it being driven by my γ3:

ImageIMG_0531.jpg by PScal, on Flickr

My system is progressing nicely. I am still thinking about how to finish the front and rear panels.

I got a box from Parts Express today including an optical cable. I had never tested the optical function of my γ3. Unfortunately, the optical input does not work. The output works fine.

I have verified:
-it is not an issue of panel fit (due to my DIY panels that was my first thought.) When I remove the panel, I still get nothing.
-double-checked the input configuration: C14-C16 are populated, L4 is populated, JP7 & JP8 are shorted. J4, T4, R4, C13, and U8 are not populated.
-Reflowed all of the optical input related stuff (listed above)

Any tips on how to proceed?

Another exciting update - today I ordered the newly available CBT-24 kit from Parts Express. I am super excited about that.
Rabbit

Postby amb » March 8th, 2017, 8:57 pm

- Did you use the correct optical receiver module (TORX147PL)? It should have a black shutter compared to the transmitter module (TOTX147PL) with a grey shutter.
- Check for possible soldering related issues at the γ24 RX+ and RX- pins, and the corresponding pins at the SRC4392.

Congratulations on the CBT24 line array. It's the baby-brother of the CBT36 that I have, but with 24 full range drivers per side and no electronic crossover or bi-amping. At half the cost of the CBT36, it's a much more affordable entry to a CBT system. I haven't auditioned the CBT24, but those full range drivers do need to be very good to handle such a wide spectrum. Post some impressions after you have it all set up.
amb
Site Admin

Liked in: 482 posts

Postby Rabbit » March 9th, 2017, 6:00 pm

The culprit was a missing JP10. Sorted. :oops:
Rabbit

Postby amb » March 10th, 2017, 1:43 am

Rabbit wrote:The culprit was a missing JP10. Sorted. :oops:

OK, that would certainly be a culprit indeed. The optical receiver and transmitter modules would get no power if JP10 was missing. But you said that the optical output worked... :?
amb
Site Admin

Postby Rabbit » March 10th, 2017, 5:39 am

Indeed. Before installing JP10, I hooked up the optical output of γ3 to my γ2. I could see light coming out of the cable, and my γ2 switch LED was green while music was playing. While music was not playing, the γ2 LED was red (and I did not check for light coming out of the cable). Now that JP10 is installed, the LED is green all the time. Pre-JP10, the output module may have been under powered but receiving just enough power to send a signal while music was playing. :? Oh well.
Rabbit

Postby Rabbit » June 26th, 2017, 11:05 am

Well, time for an update. Not really a γ3 update, as it has been working fine.

I built a Raspberry Pi 3 squeezebox emulator with a Hifiberry Digi Plus Pro, the RPi 7" touchscreen, and Squeezelite. It feeds my γ3 with a BNC cable I ordered from Blue Jeans Cable.

And, after months, I got my CBT 24's built. I just finished them at 10pm last night. After I failed at a glossy rattlecan job, I applied some Wilsonart to all sides except the front face, which I painted matte black. They have proven difficult to photograph.

Next up is to finish my subwoofer build, and to figure out where to put the system in my house.

ImageIMG_0599.jpg by PScal, on Flickr

2 people like this post.
Rabbit

Postby amb » June 26th, 2017, 11:57 am

Very cool! The CBT24s deserve its own thread.
amb
Site Admin

Postby Rabbit » June 26th, 2017, 6:58 pm

Rabbit

Postby Rabbit » May 8th, 2018, 8:15 pm

My γ3 has been working fantastic for over a year now. I still have not painted the panels. I'm working on a pair of β24 monoblocks with (hopefully) custom cases and stands to power the CBT24s (will make a thread about them when I have sufficient content). I recently came across these OLED panels: https://www.adafruit.com/product/823. Is it possible to use one of these on a γ3?
Rabbit

PreviousNext

Return to γ3 high resolution DAC and γ24 DAC core module