[f] AMB on Facebook

long press of power switch a tape loop

The face and heart of the system.

Moderator: linux-works

long press of power switch a tape loop

Postby vanofmonks » February 14th, 2020, 5:36 pm

I would like to use a hard switch in the AC line for power. Then utilize the pwr/mute switch as short press continue to be mute, and long press toggle a relay for switching a tape monitor. I shouldn't have a problem with the code, but I just want to see if there is an issue I'm overlooking with the hardware or operation before spending time on it. Any help would be appreciated. Is there a better way to implement this?
vanofmonks

Liked in: 0 post

Re: long press of power switch a tape loop

Postby amb » February 14th, 2020, 11:02 pm

Before we talk about the tape loop, let's first look at the "power switch" function.

As you might be aware, the LCDuino-1 was designed to be "always on", so that when you turn the power on and off (either via the front panel button or the remote control), the LCDuino-1 itself stays on, ready to receive remote control commands to turn it back on again. What's actually being turned on and off is the analog line stage. The LCDuino-1 firmware will also change the display to show the banner when in "powered off" state.

So, when you say you want a hard switch for the power, will you be switching only the analog line stage? Or the LCDuino-1 power? Or both? If you turn off the LCDuino-1 power, then there will be no ability to turn it back on again using the remote control. Also, if you turn on the LCDuino-1 power via a switch, then the LCDuino-1 will go through its whole boot-up sequence rather than resume operation quickly.

While it's possible to make the long-press of the front panel switch to activate a relay for tape loop purposes (with some firmware change), make sure you have thought through the above issues first.
amb
Site Admin

Liked in: 506 posts

Postby vanofmonks » February 15th, 2020, 6:23 pm

Yeah, I'm aware of the initial design as being always on to remotely switch power to the analog stage, but I'm planning on having a physical switch in the AC line to the preamp that will supply power to both the lcduino and the analog line stage. Basically power would work just like my preamp now, I don't foresee a need for remote power on/off. I still have to get up to turn off the amps and subs. I leave the preamp on most of the time and am quite familiar with waiting for the pre to warm up before powering on the amp if it is off. It takes 30s to 1m for the ccs in the pre amp to come up and tubes to warm up. Honestly, even if I keep it stock, I won't use the power feature. I really only need the lcduino to provide source selection, and volume control. And, if possible, the tape loop switch. I'm cool with the firmware change, but really wanted confirmation that I wasn't missing some other aspect of the design. Is this workable, or should I just use a separate switch?
vanofmonks

Liked in: 0 post

Postby amb » February 15th, 2020, 10:04 pm

vanofmonks wrote:...
I'm cool with the firmware change, but really wanted confirmation that I wasn't missing some other aspect of the design. Is this workable, or should I just use a separate switch?

Since you know what the limitations are, and are ok with it, then it is workable.
amb
Site Admin

Liked in: 506 posts

Return to LCDuino-1 display I/O processor