[f] AMB on Facebook

Implementation of ο1 on Marantz CD63 SE

omicron1: A low-jitter, low phase noise clock generator for upgrading digital audio devices

Re: Implementation of ο1 on Marantz CD63 SE

Postby amb » January 11th, 2018, 4:43 am

I don't see why you would need to buffer the clock output, as your ο1 will only be driving one load (the DAC). A buffer should be considered if an oscillator will be driving multiple loads. Even in that case, I would not choose a 74HC125. Such logic gates are not designed specifically for clock buffering and will add jitter, and we don't need the 3-state output feature of the 74HC125. An actual clock buffer would be much better, such as the CDCLVC1103 as used in the γ24 DAC core. But in your application, it's actually best to not use any buffering at all.
amb
Site Admin

Liked in: 482 posts

Postby franjam » January 11th, 2018, 7:11 am

Thanks for the reply,
I've just realised that I've entitled this topic "Implementation of ο1 on Marantz CD67 SE" when it should be "Implementation of ο1 on Marantz CD63 SE" , I'm always getting the 2 mixed up ; I blame Thorston Loesch for that, sorry, how can this be fixed?
Last edited by franjam on January 11th, 2018, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
franjam

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby amb » January 11th, 2018, 12:50 pm

You can edit the opening post and change its title. You can also change the title on all your subsequent posts in the thread.
amb
Site Admin

Postby franjam » February 7th, 2018, 1:06 pm

Quick question as I'm going to start building this clock for the CD63. this is a full size tin can at 16.9344Mhz, you said earlier, cut the leads short but leave enough to solder, does it matter how long the leads are ; will they act as aerials for interference?
franjam

Implementation of ο1 on Marantz CD63 SE

Postby amb » February 7th, 2018, 2:00 pm

The problem with long leads is that they add resistance and inductance, which are undesirable in high speed circuits. This is why SMD is used almost exclusively for these types of circuits now. But you do need clearance to solder a through-hole oscillator onto SMD pads, depending on your iron tip, maybe 2mm is enough?
amb
Site Admin

Postby franjam » February 9th, 2018, 10:35 am

So having just completed and successfully installed the kDCX, I went on to construct and install the o1 clock for the CD63 player. Obviously SMD's are now a complete doddle :P ,(translation : "walk in the park" ;) ), but the build and intallation still took me a good while as I also took the time to depopulate obselete parts in the analogue ouput section.
Not having an SMD oscillator in the frequency I needed I couldn't do better than this:

CD63 o1 soldered resized.jpg
o1 CD63 clock resized.jpg

I found a convenient place which already had a hole in the corner of the main PCB to bolt the clock with a rubber grommet just to keep them slightly apart. I plundered the supply wires and plug from an old fan from my computer modding days which did the job perfectly. With hindsight I suppose i could have run the wires directly under the pcb to the solder points on and around the 5v voltage regulator and the same for the clock cable, however I'm hardly going to look at it very often and it probably doesn't make any difference from an interference point of view...

Clock and DAC mod resized.jpg

All worked first time :D , thanks to good advice :ugeek: ;) .

So, the sound.... Having only just installed the kDCX it is a bit difficult to separate the 2, however my impression is of better tightness and timing, (obviously :roll: ), On an album like The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking, which is like a film score, with big changes in dynamics, lots of little details and highly complex passages it really sounds incredible. At the other extreme, the Goldberg Variations played by Zhu Xiao-Mei has an incredible delicacy and the piano sounds like a piano, at last! :D So yeah I think it was worth doing and I'll shortly be doing the same to the DSP in the DCX ;) .

So now my Marantz CD63 SE awaits an o78 5v regulator and a valve output to achieve completion, (go to relevant posts ;) ).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

amb likes this post.
franjam

Previous

Return to ο1 precision master clock