[f] AMB on Facebook

γ3 integrate a DLNA Media streamer, suggestions

gamma3, gamma24 (plug-in for the γ3)

γ3 integrate a DLNA Media streamer, suggestions

Postby Caudio12 » August 21st, 2016, 9:38 am

I am planning to start a γ3 Build soon, following the excellent design with one exception - I want to have a DLNA media streamer built in.
All my music is stored on a Synology NAS in FLAC format, currently played back with a Raspberry Pi running Volumio, DAC a γ2. This is a good solution, but Raspberry Pi do have some limitations. (at least based on some articles)
I have searched around after a replacement to integrate into the γ3, and so far I have only found this module, which at least looks promising on paper. Also to a reasonable cost, 90 US$.
Conversdigital CDMCM-2121, http://www.conversdigital.com/
Data sheet: http://www.profusionplc.com/images/data ... cm2121.pdf
Importer US: http://www.shawelectronics.com/cdmcm-2121.html

My intention is to replace the USB I2S module with CDMCM-2121 and use the I2S audio stream to feed in to the DAC. The CDMCM-2121module will be connected to the network with LAN cable.

Do anyone in the forum have an alternative solution or platform to suggest?

/Christer
Caudio12

Liked in: 0 post

Re: γ3 integrate a DLNA Media streamer, suggestions

Postby amb » August 21st, 2016, 1:56 pm

I can't comment on the CDMCM-2121, but if you want to feed a I2S stream into the γ3 (in lieu of the ζ1 audio widget), read the γ3 website, under "Other options" to see what you need to do.
amb
Site Admin

Liked in: 482 posts

Postby Caudio12 » April 16th, 2017, 4:45 am

I have changed plans. The gamma3 is ready and followed the reference build. The case is Hifi2000 and used plexiglass for temporary front and back panels. See photos below.
The only hiccup so far is that I can not get the the remote to work then entering the set-up mode, the left / right buttons stop working, all are "enter". Using a NAD remote. I will try with another remote and see if I can localise the problem. But except this small thing, the DAC works fine, very pleased.
The reason of change of plan of the media player is that Hifiberry has released a new digital output card for RaspberryPi, the new "Digi+ Pro", which has double clocks, BNC output and possibilities to connect independent power supply for 3.3 V. The two clocks 48/44.1 will hopefully resolve the weaknesses of the built in clock in the RaspPi and reduce jitter.
My concept now is to use the same type Hifi2000 case, and the following components/parts; RaspberryPi3 , Hifiberry Digi+ Pro, 2x16 LCD ( same type as gamma3), sigma11 - 5.0V, prototype card with Analog Devices ADM7150ARDZ-3.3 LDO 3.3V voltage regulator and auxiliary components, 5 push buttons to control basic functions, 1 x Bulgin button on/off.
The media player to run RuneAudio and some additional code to run the display and the buttons, I use now Volumio but so far this player does not support the new Digi+ Pro.
The only open descion, if to fit the transformer and sigma11 inside the same case or keep it in a separate case. I already have one seperate sigma11 in a Hifi2000 case to run my old Gamma2, which I can reuse. But it would nicer to keep all in the same case. Any thoughts?

/ Christer
IMG_1591.JPG

IMG_1583.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Caudio12

Liked in: 0 post

Postby amb » April 16th, 2017, 2:12 pm

Very clean γ3 build!

For your media streamer, if everything in the chassis is digital (no analog signals), then you can put the power supply in the same chassis without concern.
amb
Site Admin

Liked in: 482 posts

Return to γ3 high resolution DAC and γ24 DAC core module