[f] AMB on Facebook

γ3 high resolution DAC. Sound performance comparison

gamma3, gamma24 (plug-in for the γ3)

γ3 high resolution DAC. Sound performance comparison

Postby LV26 » December 28th, 2015, 5:44 am

Dear γ3 buiders.

I would like to open this subject for exchange of information about comparison
γ3 high resolution DAC and other DAC (especially commercial).
Unfortunately I haven`t posibilities to find any noteworthy DAC for comparision in my location.

My y3 was "listened\analyzed\tested" across some of my friends with interest setups. BTW, all of them are vinyl adepts :)
Nevertheless all of them noted perfect tonal balance, naturally, deep of sound (resolution).
Bass quality very much surprised.

P.S.
y3 was tested with Klein+Hummel OX, Klipsch Heresy III with tube mono-blocks, and 3-way DIY speakers with tri-amping (3x tube PA for each speaker)
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler. // Albert Einstein
LV26

Liked in: 16 posts

Re: γ3 high resolution DAC. Sound performance comparison

Postby amb » December 28th, 2015, 1:23 pm

I have compared my γ3 to Benchmark DAC1 and it's no contest. The DAC1 sounded aggressive and analytical. Both DACs measure great on the bench, but there is definitely a significant difference in sound. While I am a big proponent of bench testing, it's not the be all and end all when it comes to audio performance and musical reproduction.
amb
Site Admin

Liked in: 482 posts

Postby cobretti » December 28th, 2015, 6:17 pm

I had Benchmark DAC1 some time ago. It was a good DAC but my Theta Miles is still better performer in spite of it only has 18bit DA convertors.
cobretti

Liked in: 23 posts

Postby LV26 » December 29th, 2015, 8:36 am

cobretti wrote:I had Benchmark DAC1 some time ago. It was a good DAC but my Theta Miles is still better performer in spite of it only has 18bit DA convertors.

What about y3 vs Theta? Or your y3 not finished yet?
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler. // Albert Einstein
LV26

Postby cobretti » December 29th, 2015, 2:00 pm

I have only power supply finished 1/2 way but nothing else. But I am expecting y3 to be better performer simply for the reason that Theta is obsolete by parts available at the time when built. Anyway, Theta has fantastic front end, digital filter, that's what makes it very good unit still up to date. y3 must be better because of its modern parts yielding higher resolution.
cobretti

Liked in: 23 posts

Postby daniele86 » January 3rd, 2016, 12:59 am

Yesterday I went to my friend to listen my γ3 with his audio system and to compare γ3 with wadia 121 dac.
This was the system: pc foobar - γ3 or wadia - naim nap 100 amplifier - proac studio 140 mkI

The wadia is a really good dac and it was a hard match, but in the end of the day we were all agree that γ3 is a step above the wadia.
γ3 it has nothing that makes you say wow, everything was here, high, medium, low frequency, a really huge soundstage, impressive the ability to do all with incredible simplicity. Really very musical and enjoyable but despite of this, is also very detailed and very dynamic.
In the end of the day we're talking about music and one of us stopped and said, "who are playing now? is simply the best of the day"

We found usb input above the coax input.

A really high performance dac.

amb likes this post.
daniele86

Liked in: 11 posts

Postby LV26 » August 28th, 2017, 7:18 am

Hello all

Any new testing, comparison?
LV26

Postby amb » August 29th, 2017, 10:39 pm

I think those people who built a γ3 are too busy listening to music rather than write about it. :D

LV26 likes this post.
amb
Site Admin

Liked in: 482 posts

Postby Balcmeg » August 30th, 2017, 2:25 am

amb wrote:I think those people who built a γ3 are too busy listening to music rather than write about it. :D

Right, I don't have much to compare to now so I'm more into optimising the rest of the system. Especially cd-drive vs streaming and secondary radpberryPi3/USB vs my reclocked sound aware d100 pro streamer via Coax.
At the moment rpi3 is leading with a narrow margin, but partly because the user interface is better. I'll do a blind test with my wife later - she is more discerning than I am, and don't have any preferences for any of the hardware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
/Stefan
Balcmeg

Liked in: 8 posts

Return to γ3 high resolution DAC and γ24 DAC core module