[f] AMB on Facebook

γ3 Build Problem

gamma3, gamma24 (plug-in for the γ3)

Re: γ3 Build Problem

Postby bk_856er » June 12th, 2016, 4:28 pm

cobretti wrote:Gold is inert metal and should be trouble free with tin plated materials. Not like straight copper and aluminum connection.

Yep, I agree. If I recall correctly the advice to stick with similar plating material for long-term reliability came from someone who professionally repaired pinball machines or something similar with hundreds of such connectors and resulting field experience. That's enough to trigger my own OCD tendencies!

BK
bk_856er

Liked in: 55 posts

Postby dill3000 » June 17th, 2016, 10:01 am

I have had the same problems as whomper - I have looked through this thread advised by Ti.

I have did all the initial checks and all seemed fine. I recently tried the plug in connectors removal on the main board, I did direct soldering to all the power cables. Still was having the same issues with switching on. I still had to do the switch on and off quickly for it to start up correctly.

I decided to check if it was the slow power start up. I rewired some parts of the PSU chassis section which allowed all the PSUs to switch on when switching on the switch from the back. I did this by simply connecting the (+) output on the SSR to the input of the SSR so both transformers get the power directly from the mains.

When switching on the switch at the back all PSU boards now power up - the γ3 automatically starts up past its menu and when in starts up it shows the sample rate. Its has never shown the sample rate straight away before. It now works as it should. This shows that it is in fact the slow power start up. Can any thing be done?
dill3000

Liked in: 0 post

Postby amb » June 17th, 2016, 11:15 am

dill3000 wrote:...
I decided to check if it was the slow power start up. I rewired some parts of the PSU chassis section which allowed all the PSUs to switch on when switching on the switch from the back. I did this by simply connecting the (+) output on the SSR to the input of the SSR so both transformers get the power directly from the mains.

So you're feeding the SSR control input AC rather than DC? Hmm.

When switching on the switch at the back all PSU boards now power up - the γ3 automatically starts up past its menu and when in starts up it shows the sample rate. Its has never shown the sample rate straight away before. It now works as it should. This shows that it is in fact the slow power start up. Can any thing be done?

In the "normal" scenario, the σ11 for the LVDD rail is "always on", but the other σ11 and σ22 are turned on only when you turn on the power either with the remote control or the pushbutton on the front panel. In your modified scheme, all three PSUs power up at the time when you turn on the IEC switch in the back, and there is no way you could turn the system off or on with the remote or front panel switch. In both cases, most parts on the γ24 remains powered off until the firmware turns on the voltage regulators on that board via I2C. Note that this is after the DVDD σ11 and AVDD/AVSS σ22 PSUs have been turned on via the SSR.

Let's assume that it's a timing issue, then you could try the following firmware change. In γ3 firmware v1.01, file gamma3_hw.cpp, in the function gamma3::unreset(), at line 510 you'll find the code as follows:

Code: Select all
        delay(1000);

Change the 1000 to something larger, like 2000 and see if it makes any difference. This is the amount of time (in milliseconds) the firmware will wait after turning on the regulators on the γ24 before assuming that it's ready to accept commands, and continue with the startup.

See the LCDuino-1 website "firmware" section about how to flash new firmware.
amb
Site Admin

Liked in: 495 posts

Postby dill3000 » June 17th, 2016, 12:34 pm

My mistake - I worded it wrong, I didn't touch the DC side. See the attached pic for the change I made (the red line) Thanks for the suggestions on the firmware change.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dill3000

Postby whomper » June 18th, 2016, 1:19 am

I will try increasing the timeout, but will need a flashing cable. Any recommended eBay source (Mouser with shipping to Israel is not an option at the moment)

Erez Yaary
http://www.yaary.com
κDC2496, γ1.5, γ2, γ3, α10 (α24 based), balanced β22, 2 x β24, M³, Grado ES2E, GS2000E, AGK K700, CBT36 Speakers
whomper

Liked in: 34 posts

Postby amb » June 18th, 2016, 4:47 am

I recommend a genuine FTDI brand cable, especially if you will be using Windows. Recent versions of the Windows FTDI driver will either not work with non-genuine cables, or it might even "brick" it.

eBay cables are mostly clones. But if you could purchase from Farnell, RS, etc., they also carry the genuine cable.
amb
Site Admin

Postby dill3000 » June 21st, 2016, 12:22 pm

I received my genuine FTDI brand cable from RS today. I updated the firmware with the amended code: delay(2000);

It works!! I have finally finished my γ3 - I'm really happy :) Thanks for the help Ti
dill3000

γ3 Build Problem

Postby amb » June 21st, 2016, 1:11 pm

Cool. Let's see if this change also fixes whomper's build. I'll roll it into the next release if necessary.
amb
Site Admin

Postby whomper » June 21st, 2016, 2:21 pm

Ordered mine as well. Will take a bit of a time, but am encouraged to read it worked and might handle my issue as well. Will report out.

Erez Yaary
κDC2496, γ1.5, γ2, γ3, α10 (α24 based), balanced β22, 2 x β24, M³, Grado ES2E, GS2000E, AGK K700, CBT36 Speakers
whomper

Postby whomper » July 5th, 2016, 10:43 am

Finally received my cable, but so far since I have soldered a new crystal, all is working as should. Not sure what had happened. Perhaps the problem is still there, waiting to surface, or perhaps it is cured...

Will use date if things change.

Erez Yaary

jh4db536 likes this post.
whomper

Previous

Return to γ3 high resolution DAC and γ24 DAC core module