[f] AMB on Facebook

γ24+ζ1+ headphone amp build completed

gamma3, gamma24 (plug-in for the γ3)

γ24+ζ1+ headphone amp build completed

Postby garbz » January 26th, 2018, 2:30 pm

Hey just thought I'd share and also show my work and show appreciation for your wonderful effort creating these modules.

Your ζ1 and γ24 modules found a home in my rebuilt dynamid (balanced dynalo for those not familiar with this not too common configuration). I have to say it's never sounded better even when using a commercial DAC previously.

A few interesting thoughts:
- Reading datasheets is important. I spent a day figuring out why I wasn't getting sound out of it before reverse engineering your arduino code only to find that stupid 8th bit in the I2C registers on the DAC chips.
- When daisy chaining linear regulators don't forget that you're not summing the power consumption, but the current consumption. The +ve side of my powersupply is running somewhat toasty :-)
- For my slightly bastardised version of the ε12 it is worth remembering that the OPA227 and OPA2227 are not the same chip and have different pinouts. Thermal gun showed it was the hottest thing in the chassis at 103degC. I guess that's what happens when you hook the +ve rail to the output of an opamp :lol:
- Also when adjusting the volume your method of using an analogue input to drive the digital DAC was quite clever. I'm using a rotary encoder and I found the 0.125dB adjustments on the DAC absolutely worthless with the low resolution encoder I have. I skip 4 steps at a time now otherwise I'll get RSI changing the volume. :roll:

Anyway a big thankyou from myself. It was a truly wonderful sounding DAC board. Now time to populate my second one :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

3 people like this post.
garbz

Liked in: 4 posts

Re: γ24+ζ1+ headphone amp build completed

Postby amb » January 26th, 2018, 10:32 pm

Cool and nice looking implementation!
amb
Site Admin

Liked in: 482 posts

Postby DEFL » January 27th, 2018, 1:36 am

Nice. What are those black resistors on dynamid boards?
DEFL

Postby MisterX » January 27th, 2018, 10:05 am

1352.5 and counting.
MisterX

Liked in: 36 posts

Postby garbz » January 27th, 2018, 10:08 am

Thanks amb.

DEFL this goes way back but I dug it out from my archives. The Dynalo boards were built some 12 years ago :) They are Tyco Holco H4 milspec resistors. 0.05% tolerance. Back when I built this I had next to no actual electronics equipment so matching parts was beyond me and I just bought some tight tolerance components. Now... I wouldn't bother. Vishays RN60s would do the job just fine. Bought them from http://www.thlaudio.com according to the Bill of materials I wrote back in 2005 :)
garbz

Postby garbz » January 27th, 2018, 10:09 am

God you beat me to it and I even had the original purchase order I could look up :D
garbz

Return to γ3 high resolution DAC and γ24 DAC core module