[f] AMB on Facebook

Firmware bug?

gamma3, gamma24 (plug-in for the γ3)

Firmware bug?

Postby cobretti » January 22nd, 2017, 1:08 pm

I think I discovered a firmware bug. γ3 connected and playing, display set to OFF. When I play with other remote control ( I have apple remote control for my Hypa preamp), then, out of the blue a sampling frequency shows up on the displays and hangs there. Is this normal?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cobretti

Liked in: 23 posts

Re: Firmware bug?

Postby amb » January 22nd, 2017, 3:02 pm

I don't have an Apple remote, but I can't reproduce the problem with the myriad other remotes that I have (including those for my TV, blu-ray player, subwoofer management system, surround processor, or the Squeezebox Touch).

By the way, nice looking build!
amb
Site Admin

Liked in: 482 posts

Postby Balcmeg » January 22nd, 2017, 4:13 pm

amb wrote:I don't have an Apple remote, but I can't reproduce the problem with the myriad other remotes that I have (including those for my TV, blu-ray player, subwoofer management system, surround processor, or the Squeezebox Touch).

By the way, nice looking build!

I will buy new batteries for my Apple remote today or tomorrow. I can try to replicate the problem then, but might it not also depend on what remote Gamma3 is programmed to listen for? Are you using the white or the aluminium apple remote?

Agree with Ti, it's a very nice build! I need to upgrade my mechanical skills!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
/Stefan
Balcmeg

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby Balcmeg » January 23rd, 2017, 3:02 am

Got batteries today and tested my apple control with gamma3 set as you specified but I can't reproduce the problem. Of course, my other remote fit gamma3 is a Sony and spoke use NEC encoding if I remember right so there shouldn't be any overlap.
I'm curious, you don't have any issue that your gamma3 remote interferes with your Hypa?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
/Stefan
Balcmeg

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby cobretti » January 23rd, 2017, 6:19 pm

OK, I figured it out. Not a remote, it has nothing to do with the remote control, it was just coincidental to happen at the same time when I was using it.
Vibration is the culprit. As the music was playing, the bass frequency had impact on those contacts. Look at the pictures. Plating is very bad on those crimp terminals. They are tin plated. They provide very unreliable connection, and you can imagine how is the SCL and SDA line affected. I recommend anyone who's got similar hard to find troubleshooting problem to start here by checking these headers and crimp terminals. I am replacing them with small screw terminal blocks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cobretti

Postby bk_856er » January 23rd, 2017, 8:31 pm

Are those genuine Molex terminals? Looks nasty. I usually use the gold plated ones on both ends, especially for signals, but sometimes tin on non-signal. Never seen anything quite like that.

I wonder if the heat of soldering contributed?

Best bet is the dedicated crimper for a bona-fide gas-tight crimp. I had issues with "needle nose Molex crimps" in the past, but never since I got the real ratcheting crimper.

BK
bk_856er

Liked in: 55 posts

Postby cobretti » January 24th, 2017, 12:22 pm

Yes, these are Molex. Soldering is not an issue with these. Gold plated should be better indeed. But I am not sure if gold plated would look any better under microscope. What you see is 20x magnification, so you won't be able to see it with your eye alone. They look normal if looked close. The problems are the pin headers. They scratched microscopic deep grooves into them, hence surface area gets smaller and problems arise.
I am replacing them with these:
cobretti

Postby cobretti » January 24th, 2017, 3:01 pm

No, I take it back once again. This didn't fix the problem. It is a real bug in firmware. It just happens, sampling frequency shows up on the display. No iffy connections anywhere. And it happens when I move the time slider ahead on the foobar, confirmed. Going down and back up with volume fixes it.
cobretti

Postby amb » January 24th, 2017, 4:21 pm

Hmm, I don't see anything in the code where this could happen. Normally, on an LCD, the backlight is faded down to full dark and everything on screen should become so. I note that you're using a VFD which is not supported. Maybe there is a problem with the code with this type of display. I'll have to dig further.

Is this problem intermittent or is it consistently reproducible? If the latter, what steps you need to go through to get it to happen?
amb
Site Admin

Postby amb » January 25th, 2017, 2:29 am

I just looked through the code again, and don't see any reason why only the sample rate display is lit while all the other stuff is completely dimmed. There is no special code for VFD, so it's being treated the same as an LCD, and that should work for all portions of the display. The only difference is that VFDs don't have dimmable backlights, so it's either on at full brightness or totally dark without the fading effect that you would see on an LCD.
amb
Site Admin

Next

Return to γ3 high resolution DAC and γ24 DAC core module