[f] AMB on Facebook

Cable sizes and lengths

beta22

Cable sizes and lengths

Postby Kernle 32DLL » January 5th, 2020, 10:32 am

Hi,

After I finally got around to source almost all parts of my β22 build, I realized that I am still missing a central part: cables.

I found the following on some post here quite a while back. Can't remember which, probably a build log:

Code: Select all
22 AWG for signal
18 AWG for power
16 AWG for umbilical connection

Is this fine for a standard 2-chassis 3ch build? Also, how much cable should I get each? I'm terrible at judging cable lengths (and also not that familiar with the imperial system). Maybe 10ft?

Edit: Also, which "type" to get? I read about silver coated, and stranded copper. I have no idea what that inclines.

So long,
Kernle
Kernle 32DLL

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Cable sizes and lengths

Postby amb » January 5th, 2020, 5:49 pm

The umbilical cable should be long enough so that you can put the power supply chassis away from the amp chassis to avoid transformer magnetic field interference on the amp. Yet the umbilical should be short enough to minimize wire resistance. Typically the umbilical cable is between 3 feet and 5 feet (about 0.9 to 1.5 meters). With this distance you can use 18 AWG wires within the umbilical.

I recommend regular copper stranded wires for all purposes. No need for anything fancy.
amb
Site Admin

Liked in: 498 posts

Postby Kernle 32DLL » January 6th, 2020, 7:22 am

Thanks for the info on the umbilical cable!

How much cable-length do I need for the internal wiring, though (total)?
Kernle 32DLL

Liked in: 0 post

Postby amb » January 6th, 2020, 9:50 am

For internal wiring, how much wiring depends on your PCB and panel parts arrangements within your cases. You should work this out for yourself. Use different color coding for the left, right and ground wiring. Just buy small spools of hookup wires in the wire gauges you need, with some extras just to be sure. You can use any leftover wires in future projects.
amb
Site Admin

Liked in: 498 posts

Return to β22 amplifier