[f] AMB on Facebook

Burning Amp Festival - November 9 & 10, 2019

Pre-event announcements, event coverage, post-event impressions and commentaries.

Postby amb » October 1st, 2019, 9:28 am

2019 Burning Amp Festival, Premier DIY Audio Event, Returns to San Francisco Nov. 9 & 10

Immersive Experience for Do-It-Yourself Audiophiles Draws Worldwide Attendees

Two exciting days! The 12th annual Burning Amp Festival 2019 will be held Saturday, November 9 (Workshop Day), and Sunday, November 10 (Main Event) at the Firehouse and Building C of the historic Fort Mason Center on the San Francisco waterfront.

Burning Amp is a yearly participatory event for Do-It-Yourself (DIY) audiophiles to show off their projects, learn, network, and share their passion for experimenting with DIY audio gear. Founded in 2007, Burning Amp is an all-volunteer, non-profit audio happening attended by enthusiasts worldwide.

The Saturday Workshop Day (pre-registration required) will include an Amplifier Build Workshop and a Measurement Workshop.
In the Amplifier Build Workshop participants will assemble a preamp/headphone amp, an all- new design from long term patron Nelson Pass.
The Measurement Workshop, led by Bob Cordell and Demian Martin, will explore measurements of both amplifiers and loudspeakers.

The Sunday main event offers amateur DIY audio projects on display and for audition. Burning Amp?s keynote speakers are always standing-room-only (subject to Fire Dept. regulations) events. This year’s speakers are: Sean Casey, founder of Zu Audio, and Nelson Pass, audio industry legend and DIY icon.
Sunday morning’s Shorter Takes session has three amplifier designers presenting (Denis Vilfort, Nick Cresswell, Bob Cordell, Zen Mod), and is also the day Burning Amp participants display and audition their DIY projects.

Hours are: Saturday by Pre-Registration only; Sunday 9 AM. to 7:30 PM. A catered Indian buffet lunch will be available on Sunday. Coffee and snacks will be provided both days.
All are encouraged to attend and to become part of our DIY community. Bring your project, whether a breadboard prototype or a completed example of audio art.

More updates and details at burningamp.org and on the organizing thread at: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/clubs-and-events/

Pre-register at Eventbrite (register for ONE of following three only!)
(Note: If you're bringing gear to demo at the Sunday Main Event, please click the "Exhibitor's bonus" button at the Eventbrite page and select your free T-shirt size)
1. Saturday Build Workshop + Sunday Main Event
2. Saturday Measurement Workshop + Sunday Main Event
3. Sunday Main Event only

In addition, here is the Eventbrite link to pre-order the catered Indian lunch for the Sunday main event:
- Sunday Indian lunch

The main Burning Amp 2019 thread at diyaudio.com: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/clubs-a ... 019-a.html
What are you brining to Burning Amp 2019? https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/clubs-a ... 019-a.html

I will be attending the Sunday main event. Hope to see you there!
amb
Site Admin

Liked in: 482 posts

Re: Burning Amp Festival - November 9 & 10, 2019

Postby K3cT » October 19th, 2019, 2:11 am

Please tell us that you're going to surprise us with a new project! :lol:
K3cT

Liked in: 1 post

Postby amb » October 20th, 2019, 12:49 pm

K3cT wrote:Please tell us that you're going to surprise us with a new project! :lol:

I have all kinds of half-baked ideas and breadboard circuits but nothing presentable or worth showing. I will bring some existing released projects. As each new Burning Amp event attracts old and new attendees alike, some will not have seen them before, so it's worth the effort to show things like the α10, β24, γ3, etc., again. Unfortunately the guy that I've been partnering up with (that brought some nice DIY speakers) has an event conflict so he won't be there. So I'll bring some speakers of my own. But not the CBT36 line arrays this time. Too big and involves too much other associated gear.
amb
Site Admin

Postby amb » November 3rd, 2019, 1:43 am

Burning Amp Festival is one weeks from today!

bk_856er and I will partner up this year to put together a system to demo at the main event on November 10. It will consist of bk_856er's γ3 DAC and DIY Seas speakers, driven by my β24 power amp. We will both bring digital sources, including his Oppo BDP-95 universal player and my laptop computer. We may also bring other items to show. Since bk_856er is working on his own β24, this will also be a good opportunity for him to examine mine close-up for reference.

We hope to see you there! Don't forget to book your tickets ASAP! (See the first post of this thread, I updated it to add the Eventbrite link where you can pre-order the catered Indian lunch for the Sunday event).

2 people like this post.
amb
Site Admin

Postby poseidonsvoice » November 8th, 2019, 6:58 am

Looking forward to seeing you Ti! I’ll be there for the GTG in Chinatown as well!

Can’t wait to witness the B24 in action!

Best,
Anand.
poseidonsvoice

Liked in: 9 posts

Postby amb » November 8th, 2019, 3:39 pm

See you there this Sunday!

poseidonsvoice likes this post.
amb
Site Admin

Postby shonne » November 10th, 2019, 11:28 am

some pictures from festival, plz :)
shonne

Liked in: 0 post

Postby amb » November 11th, 2019, 12:04 am

shonne wrote:some pictures from festival, plz :)

I just got home from a great day at Burning Amp 2019. I snapped some 100 photos and they are being uploaded right now. Once I have processed them I will post them on a website and announce the link here. This will take some time, so stay tuned.

As mentioned previously, bk_856er and I assembled a system to demo. Thanks to his fabulous DIY Seas speakers and his beautifully-built γ3 DAC, along with my reference β24 power amp, the system looked and sounded great. Quite a few people commented to me that our was the "best sound at the show". I am quite flattered, considering that there are some seriously good systems being shown all around. Thanks go out to bk_856er for being such a good sport, who brought his non-audiophile brother to help out. And it turned out to be a fun and interesting event for him too. I am also glad to meet many familiar faces and new attendees alike, who came to hear our system and asked questions. linux-works, particleman14, tosh1000, goliraja, CeeTee, poseidonsvoice, and other friends were also present. linux-works had his M³ + σ11 headphone amp, Sercona preamp, and particleman14 brought his newly-completed black γ3 DAC too. Audio luminary Nelson Pass is a fixture at these events, this year introducing a new ACP+ preamp/headphone amp that a bunch of attendees built in a Saturday workshop. While Siegfried Linkwitz had passed away last year, Linkwitz Labs was there in full force.

Linear Systems (manufacturer of the substitute Toshiba low noise JFETs) usually makes videos of the demos at past events, and this year they continued to do so. Several keynote speeches and presentations were also held and recorded. I was interviewed on video and you can watch it (and other similar videos) on Youtube when they are published.

Last but no least, lots of items were given away in a raffle, including speaker drivers, transformers, heatsinks and other parts and pieces. A number of attendees left with a lot more things than how they arrived! Needless to say, a good time was had by all.

Thanks also go to Tom V (this year's Burning Amp Festival organizer), Variac (previous BAF organizer who always came to help), and all the volunteers who made the event possible and run smoothly.
amb
Site Admin

Postby amb » November 11th, 2019, 12:33 pm

Photos are now up here:
https://www.amb.org/ti/audio/burningamp2019/

If you're on facebook, the photos are also here:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 082&type=3
amb
Site Admin

Postby amb » November 20th, 2019, 11:45 am

Videos from Burning Amp 2019 are appearing on Linear Integrated Systems' Youtube channel. Here is a link:
https://www.youtube.com/user/LinearSystemsUSA/videos
amb
Site Admin

Return to Meets, shows, get-togethers