[f] AMB on Facebook

Burning Amp Festival - November 12, 2017

Pre-event announcements, event coverage, post-event impressions and commentaries.

Burning Amp Festival - November 12, 2017

Postby amb » August 6th, 2017, 10:30 am

This year's Burning Amp Festival will take place on November 12 (Sunday), 2017 at Fort Mason in San Francisco.

Burning Amp Festival is the premier DIY audio event. People travel from all over the world to attend this. Audio luminaries such as Nelson Pass, Siegfried Linkwitz and others usually host interesting presentations and demos, and there will be a lot of DIY gear on display.

I recommend any audio DIYer to consider attending, even if you have to travel. You won't regret it. I will of course be there!

Full information is here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/clubs-an ... cisco.html

MisterX likes this post.
amb
Site Admin

Liked in: 482 posts

Re: Burning Amp Festival - November 12, 2017

Postby amb » November 1st, 2017, 4:29 am

Reminder: Burning Amp Festival is 12 days from today! Don't miss it.

Stereophile and AudioXpress magazines have write-ups about this upcoming event:
Stereophile.com: Burning Amp Lights Up San Francisco on November 12
AudioXpress: Burning Amp 2017 Will Be The Biggest and Best Ever
amb
Site Admin

Postby amb » November 12th, 2017, 3:44 am

Burning Amp 2017 is today!

I am demo'ing the γ3 DAC as digital preamp and β24 power amp driving Javad Shadzi's amazing Strafi DIY speakers.

The γ3 and β24 are well known here.
The Strafi won 1st place at the 2017 Midwest Audiofest (MWAF) Speaker Design Competition.
Together, these make a first class system!

Here is a Youtube video featuring Javad explaining the Strafi design:
Speaker Building Design Competition - Javad Shadzi - The Strafi
There is a lot more to it than meets the eye!

A Strafi design/build thread can be found in this Parts-Express TechTalk Forum thread.

Hope to see you there!
amb
Site Admin

Postby poseidonsvoice » November 12th, 2017, 6:38 pm

Indeed. Notice the waveguide, compression tweeter and heavy duty radius - that’s by no accident. My personal speakers are similar except my waveguide is 18 inches.

There are only 2 types of speakers. CD and everybody else!

Learn from Toole/Olive, Geddes, etc...

Best,
Anand.
poseidonsvoice

Liked in: 9 posts

Postby amb » November 13th, 2017, 6:44 am

Burning Amp 2017 was great fun with a large turnout. Lots of DIY audio enthusiasts talking tech, interesting exhibits, demos and presentations, good food and snacks, and a great view of the San Francisco Bay!

The γ3 + β24 + Strafi system wowed the crowd. The β24 delivered over 300W into the 4 ohm Strafi, reaching very high SPLs with explosive dynamics. The amp exerted tight control of the Strafi's speaker diaphrams, making for a very fast, clean presentaion, dolling out copious detail and clarity. There was a big and palpable sound stage, and all that despite the terrible room acoustics!

The construction of all three components of the system also received high praise. Javad's Strafi speakers in particular was eye popping when you look at his build log, with beautiful photographs documenting the whole process and details, bound in a nice hard cover book. The exterior finish is also remarkable.

Linux-works brought his usual array of boxes and gadgets with various display technologies, including his latest arduino + PGA preamp prototype.

There were lots of other exhibits loaded with cool gear, of course. I created a gallery of photos I took at the event. Have a look!

Burning Amp 2017 Photo Gallery
amb
Site Admin

Postby poseidonsvoice » November 13th, 2017, 7:59 am

Thanks a lot for the photos Ti, looks great! Perhaps I'll come next year. Too bad it's only 1 day, but I don't know if there is enough to discuss and see for 2 days.

Best,
Anand.
poseidonsvoice

Liked in: 9 posts

Postby Pieterh » November 14th, 2017, 3:46 am

The photo's are very much appreciated! It is a pity that we don't have such a DIY event in Europe.
Pieterh

Liked in: 54 posts

Postby mikeg88 » November 15th, 2017, 12:07 pm

amb wrote:I am demo'ing the γ3 DAC as digital preamp and β24 power amp driving Javad Shadzi's amazing Strafi DIY speakers.

^ that was among the better setups I've heard at Burning Amp, ever. Thanks for posting the photos, as well!
mikeg88

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Garrard301 » November 18th, 2017, 1:45 pm

Pieterh wrote:The photo's are very much appreciated! It is a pity that we don't have such a DIY event in Europe.

May I draw your attention to http://www.audio-talk.co.uk - this is a UK-based DIY audio forum and the members have an annual get together in a room at Owston Lodge in the north of England - admittedly not quite on the same scale as Burning Amp, and definitely geared towards tube gear with dangerous voltages! Although there has been more solid state stuff of late.

This is a blog post from the 2017 meet:

http://simonsnewadventuresinhifi.blogsp ... -2017.html

I'll definitely be showing off my alpha 24 / LCDuino build at the 2018 meet, and I've been extolling the virtues of the AMB offerings on that forum.

The first one of these I went to was in 2016 and the standard of reproduction in many cases exceeded that I'd heard at a commercial show a few months before, by quite some margin.

Sorry for the thread diversion.
Garrard301

Liked in: 5 posts

Return to Meets, shows, get-togethers