[f] AMB on Facebook

β24 Mono Block from South Africa

beta24

β24 Mono Block from South Africa

Postby Hasren » November 4th, 2019, 1:58 am

I would have loved to start with the background of my built, pictures and lessons learnt, but I have hit a brick wall requiring urgent assistance from the astute builders that have helped me a great deal through reading the forum. Trust me I have been through a lot but managed to find solutions from the forum. So I am at a stage where I feel I have to ask before taking certain decisions. I am at the initial set up stage for the second time (after having the perfect one and blew it by a stupid mistake - swapping the unregulated polarity and blew the whole thing up). Had to replace a lot of components and the circuit is stable i.e. no more smokes or excessive heat.

1. Unregulated Voltage = +45.1V and -45.2V
2. Regulated Voltage = +37.3 and -37.1V
3. Input stage bias setup: easy to set to 4V
4. VAS stage balance setup: can attain 130mV balance for a short while but very unstable fluctuates, in fact, all the other steps start to behave this way and couldn't even move to Null the output DC offset.

I have tried to swop Q1, Q3 put them back and tried Q2, Q4 I have cannibalized the other channel (by the way the other channel is now dead from cannibalism :twisted: ) hoping that the JFETs are still intact. Still no luck. However, when I analyze the behaviour of the various combinations I am inclined to conclude that the issue is with the JFETs (some behave better in that the fluctuations are much more stable than others but still there nonetheless) . Could this be correct? If so I intend ordering new freshly matched Quads (from AMB). By the way, I am building Monoblocks.
Hasren

Liked in: 5 posts

Re: β24 Mono Block from South Africa

Postby amb » November 4th, 2019, 12:13 pm

While you're making the bias adjustments make sure not to touch any of the devices with your hand or other objects, or thermal effects will cause the measurements to drift. If you want to test the JFETs, remove them from the board and measure their Idss and see if they are sane (procedure can be found at the β22 website under "Device matching"). You may also want to check their transconductance (or "gain"). Search the web for "measure JFET gm" for info).
amb
Site Admin

Liked in: 478 posts

Postby Hasren » November 4th, 2019, 12:43 pm

Thanks, Ti, I will try that but I feel I have just messed up the combinations of the quads and I am afraid the board might get damaged further hence I was thinking just starting afresh with newly matched JFETS. I will give it a try one more time.
Hasren

Postby Hasren » November 9th, 2019, 11:16 am

Sorted :D ...guess what? loose connection Q40 :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

amb likes this post.
Hasren

Postby Hasren » November 9th, 2019, 11:25 am

Another happy B24 builder Ti...The fact that I could complete the project through reading from the forum is proof that this project is matured.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

2 people like this post.
Hasren

Postby Hasren » November 9th, 2019, 11:32 am

The inside Construction...Unregulated Trafo = 300VA Novutem Telema, Regulated 15VA Swift (Local).

amb likes this post.
Hasren

Postby Hasren » November 9th, 2019, 11:48 am

Getting ready for the second Channel...

amb likes this post.
Hasren

Postby amb » November 9th, 2019, 12:16 pm

Excellent! :)

Hasren likes this post.
amb
Site Admin

Liked in: 478 posts

Return to β24 fully-differential power amplifier