[f] AMB on Facebook

β22 top layer output pad ripped off

beta22

β22 top layer output pad ripped off

Postby atom0221 » May 3rd, 2019, 11:24 am

Hello there:
Accidentally ripped off the output pad on the top layer when trying to dissassemble the case which means I lose the feed back loop. The B22 PCB fail down with the heavy sink from the table and unfortunately I soldered the output wire instead of using a connector. The pad on the bottom layer is fine.
Is there any suggestion to fix this? Jump wire is the only solution comes up to mine mind. Considering the impedance and the max current, may I ask how many mils is the feed back trace in width and could I use 30 AWG jump wire to reconnect the loop from R4 to the output wire? Just being afraid of any bad effect if doing so.
To avoid same thing happening again. I'm thinking using connector instead of soldering, but currently I can't get the gold plated Molex KK series connector. Is there any audible inferiority with the one not being gold plated?
Thanks your help in advance.
atom0221

Liked in: 0 post

Re: β22 top layer output pad ripped off

Postby amb » May 3rd, 2019, 1:48 pm

The feedback loop doesn't carry much current so a small gauge wire is enough to patch it up. You can run a 30AWG wire from the output pad on the bottom of the board to R4.

The Molex KK series connector isn't usable on the output pad... There is no single-pin version.
amb
Site Admin

Liked in: 482 posts

Postby atom0221 » May 4th, 2019, 8:14 am

Thanks, AMB. Now I can start fixing it!
I know there is no single-pad version in Molex KK series. It needs modification.
What I was thinking is removing one of the two pin connector header and enlarge the output though hole which allows pin can go through.
Since the off-board sink is used, there might be some space to accommodate the KK 396 2 pin header.
Anyway, let me rephrase my question. Is there any audible difference between the connectors with and without gold plated?
atom0221

Postby amb » May 4th, 2019, 8:46 am

atom0221 wrote:Anyway, let me rephrase my question. Is there any audible difference between the connectors with and without gold plated?

I would say no, but I’m sure those who indulge in audiophile cable voodoo would disagree! :roll:
amb
Site Admin

Liked in: 482 posts

Postby atom0221 » May 6th, 2019, 1:11 am

amb wrote:
atom0221 wrote:Anyway, let me rephrase my question. Is there any audible difference between the connectors with and without gold plated?

I would say no, but I’m sure those who indulge in audiophile cable voodoo would disagree! :roll:

Thanks, amb. Your opinion confirms the review/discussion what I've read online.
A comment left by an audio engineer said he would only consider gold plated connector in corrosive environment,
otherwise there is no difference in sound between nickel/silver/gold platted one.
atom0221

Return to β22 amplifier