Share |

Time zones in my account settings

Report any website or forum problems here.

Time zones in my account settings

Postby macevanscb » February 9th, 2012, 3:12 pm

I have got to say that the entries in the time zone menu are the strangest I have every seen in my entire life.
Couldn't you put something a little more normal into that menu??????
I live in Iowa near Omaha and there is absolutely nothing in that menu that is familiar to me.
You do realize that there are standard universal world-wide names for all 24 time zones?????
macevanscb

Re: Time zones in my account settings

Postby amb » February 9th, 2012, 3:37 pm

In order for automatic DST rules to work, it can't simply be timezone-based, because locations within the same time zone may have different DST rules. For example, Arizona is in the MST (Mountain Standard Time) zone but it does not implement daylight savings time. Hence, a city-based scheme is needed. But it is not feasible to list every city in the menu, or it would be huge and impossible to navigate. So a selection of major cities in each zone is provided in the menu, so you could choose one that best fits your local timezone and DST rules.

Btw, the list of continents/countries/cities is not something I put in, and isn't something I could change. It is a standard set provided by php for this purpose. See:
http://us.php.net/manual/en/timezones.php
amb
Site Admin

Postby linux-works » February 9th, 2012, 4:33 pm

"Does anybody really know what time it is
Does anybody really care?
If so I can't imagine why
We've all got time enough to cry."

;)
Sercona Audio (Control Systems for Analog and Digital)
Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/linux-works/
linux-works

Postby macevanscb » February 10th, 2012, 6:54 am

I totally agree with linus-works! :-)

You know, literally every other forum out there just has a simple little check box for enable/disable of DST...
... along with a simple, understandable set of timezones.

Your reply (and the same silly list on the php site) still doesn't get around the fact that there is nothing familiar to me in the list other than maybe 'America/Los Angeles' and I don't live there anymore.
And I'll still have no clue whether DST is enabled or not if I click something unreasonably not close such as 'America/North_Dakota/Beulah' because North Dakota is split between two time zones.
I consider myself very geographically knowledgeable, but I'd still need an atlas and an hour to figure out what to click on!!!
Whoever came up with that stupid America time zone list needs to be smacked with a rubber chicken!
macevanscb

Postby macevanscb » February 10th, 2012, 7:01 am

And if I'm reading the previous time zone post correctly, you just switched over to this insanity???????
If you're using NORMAL software, the DST button doesn't have to be used twice a year to turn DST on or off.... its supposed to enable DST to be used or not.... as in 'set and forget'.... sigh
Please.... find me ONE.... just ONE.... major city in the USA... in the Central Time Zone.... that uses DST.... find me one in that list.
macevanscb

Postby macevanscb » February 10th, 2012, 7:15 am

And further, the list to select from on your sit is INCOMPLETE.
On the php page you referred me to, there is a list called "OTHERS" which has time zone "US CENTRAL".
I also happen to know that I could select 'Etc/GMT-6' in the 'Others' list.
And the "OTHERS" list isn't in YOUR list (while it appears that all the other lists, including the incredibly obscure 'America' list IS in your list).
macevanscb

Postby macevanscb » February 10th, 2012, 1:16 pm

Ti Kan ... I'm sorry ... I don't mean to bitch but I hate it when something is unreasonably hard to use.
(if I don't have anything to bitch about, I bitch about not having anything to bitch about!)

On the other hand, your AMB site is INCREDIBLE!
The completeness of the information in each project leaves me happy and without nagging questions.

I've been on the lookout for something to drive my Sennheiser HD600s when I ran into AMB.org
I'm now going thru the parts lists and building my own Excel file to order everything for a CK2III.
I'll probably build it with the MOSFET outputs as I saw in routhan's post.

And the list of vendors is incredible too.
Finding sites like Express PCB and Front Panel Express totally makes up for any small annoyances I've run into.
macevanscb

Postby amb » February 10th, 2012, 2:37 pm

FYI this stuff is implemented by the Automatic DST mod for phpBB3, the software that this forum is based on. It's not code that I wrote, but I chose to install it because the default phpBB behavior is not automatic -- if your region has daylight savings time, then you had to tell the forum, twice a year, whether DST is in effect or not. There was a check box in your Board preferences for that, which is now gone with this mod.

In order to provide automatic DST changes, the timezone selection cannot simply be UTC +/- some offset, because that does not provide any info whether a specific location within that timezone implements DST, and when does DST go in and out of effect. Thus the author of the mod chose a city-based menu. The logic behind it is described by the author in the following post:
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=1496415&start=15#p8941785

I do agree that the current menu is rather sparse. But upon doing a little checking I found that you could select "America/Indiana/Knox" and it will give you what you need (there may be others that would work too).

Here is an interactive timezone map of the world:
http://www.timeanddate.com/time/map/

At that site, you can click on a city in your local timezone and go to the Time/General page for that city. You can see whether that city has the same time as yours. Then, click on the Time Zone and DST tabs to see if they match what your local rules are. When in doubt, you can search your city (or another major city closer to you) in the search box and compare.

Sorry that it has to be so complicated, but timezones and DST are a messy issue with many different geopolitical rules. I installed this mod so that you can set it once and forget it (even though it might take a little more initial work), but thereafter the system will take care of DST changes and display the correct time automatically.
amb
Site Admin

Return to AMB website and forum support